Relationship Solution Series: Trust
Trust is a key part of any relationship. Do you see certain things that cause you not to trust your partner? Or, do you have unresolved issues that prevent you from trusting others?
You and your partner can develop trust in each other by following these tips!
- Be consistent.
- Be on time.
- Do what you say you will do.
- Don’t lie – not even a little white lie. It’s tempting…but, don’t do it. Especially when you know trust is being tested.
- Be fair, even in an argument. Don’t dig up old wounds. Try to respect your
- partner’s boundaries.
- Be sensitive to other’s feelings. You can still disagree, but don’t discount how your partner is feeling.
- Call when you say you will. Also, call to say you’ll be home late.
- Carry your fair share of the workload at home. Don’t allow your partner to do all of the work, even when they say they don’t mind. You showing an interest and participating in sharing the “load,” is sending a message that you are 100% invested and in the relationship for the long haul.
- Try not to overreact when things go wrong.
- Think before you talk or react. You can’t take back what you’ve said after it comes out so edit yourself before you speak.
- Be a good listener.
There will always be challenges in a relationship. You both can do things to minimize your problems and perhaps avoid them altogether.
Be realistic. Thinking a partner will meet all of your needs, and be able to figure them out without you asking—is living in a fantasy world! Ask for what you need directly.
Use humor. Learn to let things go and enjoy one another more.
Be willing to work at it. Unless you address problems head-on—issues will remain, and can get in the way of a happy, healthy future!
Need more help on how to communicate more effectively with your partner? Consider reaching out to your Best Care EAP for help and support. A professional counselor is available for you and/or your significant other at no cost to you.
To schedule your confidential appointment, call (402) 354-8000 or (800) 801-4182.