Job and Career
Top 10 Tips When Recommending Best Care EAP
Do you know a coworker or friend who is performing the functions of their job, but not as well as they use to? Have you noticed a friend or coworker with changes in their attitude or personal happiness?
There are times when a formal Supervisory Referral to EAP in not necessary, but you could help anyone you see that is depressed or experiencing a personal crisis. Use these top 10 tips to help you reach out to a coworker or friend to remind them of their EAP benefits.
- Normalize the problem. Everyone experiences difficult times. Let them know they are not alone.
- Normalize the EAP.Best Care EAP offers 100% confidential assistance by professional counselors for employees and their eligible dependents.
- Use an example.Explain how someone has been a friend to you in the past when you needed it, or offer your own personal experience in dealing with a personal issue or seeking help from EAP.
- Best Care EAP is a benefit. Your company or organization cares about the overall wellbeing of each of their employees. Initial counseling at Best Care EAP is FREE for the employee and eligible dependents (paid for by the employer). If additional sessions are needed, Best Care will help find a professional that works with the employee’s insurance provider to help minimize any additional costs the employee has to cover.
- Take care of yourself. You have to take care of yourself before you can take care of anyone else. Encourage the employee to take the time to evaluate their own personal health and wellbeing.
- Be a good listener. If they decide to share with you, listen. Everyone wants to be heard and understood.
- Don’t be judgmental. There’s no need to blame or judge. Experiencing difficult times doesn’t mean the employee is a bad person.
- Avoid diagnosing the problem. Leave that to the professionals. Best Care counselors are trained to handle a wide array of issues, and have access to resources for additional assistance and specialized care and follow-up.
- Keep their confidence.Trust is a key element in friendship. Make sure to speak to them privately and not around other coworkers.
- Know your limits. It is okay to let them know you care, but remember to respect their personal space and privacy.
If you’re thinking about talking to a friend or coworker, you might say, “I care about you as a friend and coworker. You haven’t seemed yourself lately. Have you thought about calling Best Care EAP? It’s 100% confidential and it’s free”.
Best Care provides assistance for family, marital and relationship problems, substance abuse, financial difficulties, stress, depression, anxiety disorders, and other mental or emotional issues.